New for 2013
The FIRST 5 Contest!
Open to all registered attendees for NO CHARGE
If a writer doesn’t hook the reader in the first few pages, they may lose them. The FIRST 5 contest is a chance to get your work evaluated and see what contest judges look for, which will improve your writing, too!
There are two parts to this contest – you can participate as one or both – it’s great experience and you’ll learn from it all
PART ONE, Contestant:
Have you ever wondered how your first five pages stack up? Want some feedback to help you polish your prose?
As a registered attendee, you can submit one 5-page (approximately 1,000-1,500 words) double-spaced FIRST 5 PAGES of your fiction manuscript for feedback and suggestions. You are guaranteed to get between 1-3 evaluations on Judges Score Sheets, using score sheets compiled from actual contests.
HOW TO SUBMIT:
- Use a COVER PAGE area of the submission form to enter your manuscript title, your name, your email and phone (this is the ONLY place you put this info)
- Put your MANUSCRIPT TITLE on the pages with page numbers, but DO NOT have ANY IDENTIFYING INFORMATION on the 5 pages of your manuscript, as this is an anonymous judging situation
- You may begin at the top of your manuscript page, no need to space down
- Use Times New Roman 12, Courier New 12 or something similar in readability (no smaller than 12-point please)
- The total length NOT TO EXCEED 1,500 words or 5 double-spaced pages, whichever comes first
Ready to submit? Here’s the link… (NOTE: I am using the SWMontanaMagazine submission system, so don’t let that confuse you, it’s the Get Published Contest)
PART TWO, Judge:
What do judges look for? How do they evaluate submissions?
YOU BE THE JUDGE – you are invited to judge 3-5 submissions, using a SCORE SHEET adapted from those used in real contests. You do not have to be a contestant in order to be a judge – YOU WILL LEARN A GREAT DEAL about your ow writing from helping your fellow writers – but if you do submit a FIRST 5 for the contest, I urge you to consider helping out with the judging, also. To let me know you would be willing to judge, use the form below.
Powered by Fast Secure Contact Form
Thank you for offering to be a judge for our First 5 contest. I know your support of fellow writers is much appreciated. I’ll be in touch soon.
(if you do not want to be a judge, but just want to submit your First 5, use the link above, but DO NOT fill out the form above. If you just need a contact form, click here. Thanks!)
Submit your FIRST 5 pages on or before JUNE 3
Judges will be asked to please return all judged pages on or before June 24.